Lee Athletics has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://leeathletics.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Athlete of the Month - February 2014

Athlete: Rayford James, Senior
Sport(s): Cross-Country, Track & Field
Best Performance(s): 49.9 (400m), 1:56 (800m), 4:24 (1600m), 16:16 (5k CC)

Do you or have you competed in other sports, if so what other sports? Well, I started playing American Football in 6th grade. I didn't make the team in 7th grade, so I tested my speed in track.


What is your favorite sport? Track and Field

When did you first start competing in Track and Field? 7th grade at the age of 12.

Why did you decide to compete? Because my father knew I was very fast, so we took my talents to the track.

What is your favorite event? What do you like about the event? 1600m and 800m because I have always been very powerful in those events. I never could excel in cross-country. However, when my cross-country rivals are faced against me in track, I destroy them.

What is one performance that stands out to you the most? Tell us about it.  It would have to be when I ran down Lucas at the UNF Spring Break Invitational in 2012. I won by a tenth of a second and ran a 4:37 in extreme wind and rain. This was the spark in my career that showed me that the race is never over until you cross the line.

Does anyone else in your family currently compete or have competed in the past? Tell us a little about them. My father was a professional power-lifter and was a great boxer. He currently holds the record for the Guns and Hoses boxing event. My mother ran the 440 in high school.

What sort of awards or honors have you won? I am a national elite miler, 800m, and cross-country runner. I have qualified for state twice now in the 4x800m. Also, I have won countless medals in track and field in almost every race I have ran.

What are you performance goals for this current season? What are your long term goals? For this season, I will run a 4:09 for the mile and a 1:49 for the 800m. My long term goal is to run in the 2016 Olympic Games.

What sort of hobbies or interests do you have outside of sports? Besides track and field, I love to play video games such as Starcraft and Call of Duty. I also love playing chess and hanging out with my friends.

What sort of of academic interests do you have? I love chemistry, physics, anatomy and biology.

Do you have plans for college? If so where would you like to attend and what would you like to study? I plan on running track and field for a major university. I would like to attend Oregon or the University of North Florida. I would also like to study the prerequisites and majors involved in physical therapy.